Manga Classics: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen adapted by Stacy E. King review

Manga Classics: Pride & Prejudice Hardcover - Jane Austen

I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Manga Classics: Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen adapted by Stacy E. King
Released: 12th August, 2014

Book Summary:

Beloved by millions the world over, Pride & Prejudice is delightfully transformed in this bold, new manga adaptation. All of the joy, heartache, and romance of Jane Austen's original, perfectly illuminated by the sumptuous art of manga-ka Po Tse, and faithfully adapted by Stacy E. King.

What I like: I loved the idea of a manga adaption of one of my favorite of Jane Austen's works, and while there was minor disappointment in it, I liked it. Taking away the fact it was based off of her book I would say that the manga adaption was really good. While the characters don't seem to match up with the way they are in the book for the most part the way they were presented they worked very well. The art style was lovely, and attention to little things such as details were paid attention to as well.Each of the characters had very nice facial expressions, and a variety to go with them. It's also a very light and quick read, so for someone who wants to understand the basis of Pride and Prejudice but can't get into the book this manga can help them understand to a point why it's so loved even today. I also enjoyed the fact that the dialogue stayed very true to the original, instead of being modernized as it would have lost something in doing so. I adored the little chibi forms of Mrs. Bennet though,

What I didn’t like: Sometimes the facial expressions of the characters were too overdone, too stressed, and it looked a bit odd and unnatural. Elizabeth was also way too emotional in a short time span which is, of course, due to the shorter length of the manga compared to the novel. Sometimes the way Mr. Collins looked also bothered me, but maybe it was just me. He looked odd to me.

Overall review: Manga Classics: Pride and Prejudice is a very lovely manga adaption of Jane Austen's novel. With lovely art that has plenty of detail and well drawn characters it is a wonderful accompaniment of Pride and Prejudice. Each of the characters falls close to who they were in the novel, and they all seem to emit their own characteristics that are unique to them in the book with they way they are in the book. Despite some drawbacks due to the limited space for the story, it's a light and fun read and something easy to enjoy.

Recommend?: Whether or not you've read the classic, seen the movie, or whatever else they've modeled after the original, I would recommend this manga to fans of the original. It's very good and entertaining.

Goodreads: 4.3/5 Amazon: —/5 Barnes&Nobles: —/5 BookDepository: 5/5