Manga Classics: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo adapted by SunNeko Lee review

Manga Classics: Les Miserables Softcover - Victor Hugo

I received this book in exchange for an honest review from the publisher via NetGalley

Manga Classics: Les Miserables
Victor Hugo adapted by SunNeko Lee
Released: 12th August, 2014

Book Summary:

Adapted for stage and screen, loved by millions, Victor Hugo's classic novel of love and tragedy during the French Revolution is reborn in this manga edition!

What I like: The art style was very nice, consistent, and I didn't catch any big inconsistencies in the art work. The characters all looked lovely and they didn't single out the characters who we would call "bad guys" and make them look any different like what I've seen many do. That consistency was something I was really pleased about.

What I didn’t like: I didn't like how they did Japanese manga style for the layout of the book, especially since many readers have never read manga before and I'm sure the idea is to lure in more readers to learn about Hugo's classic. I also was a little unhappy with how much of the story had to be cut to fit inside the book, I feel it would have been better if they had the option to make multiple books to portray the whole story as this manga only scratches what feels like the surface of the story.

Overall review: This manga style version of Les Miserables, while definitely lacking and not perfect in a few places, is definitely a good quick read for people. The art style is pleasant, and many of the points needed to understand the story presented are done well. I do believe that many pieces of the original story that weren't present should have been in there to give more understanding to the classic novel.

Recommend?: If you want a quick overview of the classic by Victor Hugo, or are a fan of manga style books, then this is for you. Lovers of the classic will probably enjoy it, more so to see the characters we love.

Goodreads: 3.7/5     Amazon: —/5     Barnes&Nobles: —/5